New Faculty and Staff Getting Started
What new faculty and staff need to know about ITD at UTC.
What is your UTCID?
Your UTCID (NetID) is an unique identifier for everyone on campus. It is used to access your email, file storage, checking pay statements, Mocsnet, UT portal and UTCOnline. You will login to your computer with your UTCID and password. For more information visit: http://itd.utc.edu/email/utcid.php
How to setup my password?
After you receive your UTCID it is recommended that you change your password. For more information visit: http://itd.utc.edu/mocsnet/setup.php
Who to contact for help?
Please feel free to contact the Help Desk x4000 or submit an online request form, for any hardware related problems, software installation, advice on computer purchases, malfunctioning software, telephone and networking problems.
For how to questions, like, how to format a page in MS Word, what’s the best software to use for grade books, how do I get Excel to do a statistical analysis, and other how to questions, please call the Walker Teaching Resource Center, x4188, or on the web at http://www.utc.edu/WalkerTeachingResourceCenter/.
Update the Online Directory
All faculty and staff are provided with 200mb server storage space for document storage and personal web pages. Each department has server storage for departmental documents that need to be shared. The information Technology Division recommends all business documents be stored on the shared server. Folders within the shared server can be restricted as needed.
For more information visit: http://itd.utc.edu/facstaff/files.php
How do I get email?
All faculty and staff receive email accounts. You can check your email online at http://www.utc.edu or you can set up an email client to access your email. For more information visit http://itd.utc.edu/email/.
How to setup Voicemail?
Voicemail is available to all faculty and staff upon request. Contact the help desk at 425 - 4000. Instructions on setting and using voicemal can be found at: http://itd.utc.edu/voicemail/
How do I connect to wireless?
The Student Technology fee has provided funding for the wireless on campus. To connect to the wireless network you will need the Bradford agent, the latest Windows updates, Mac OS Updates and AV definitions. For more information visit: http://itd.utc.edu/wireless/.
Does the University provide training?
The University has online training for Microsoft products, the Help Desk has information sessions and the Walker Teaching Resource Center provides a wide range of training on software. For more information visit: http://itd.utc.edu/training.
Do we get discounts for computers and software?
You can receive discounts through Dell and Apple for computers. For more information visit: http://itd.utc.edu/hardware. Through the Microsoft Agreement faculty and staff can purchase Microsoft Office for home use. Visit http://itd.utc.edu/software/ms.php
Security issues and best practice
- Create strong passwords with a letter number combination, a capital letter and that is at least 7 characters long.
- Do not give out your ID and password to other faculty, staff and students.
- The IT department will never send a request for your ID and password via email. Never respond to a request via email to send someone that info. If anyone at the help desk, needs that info, they will communicate that need personally.
- Do not download free screensavers, up to the minute weather alerts, fun cursors, and free games. Most of these are free because of the spyware that is associated with them.
- When leaving your computer, please lock your workstation. On windows operations system, by holding down the windows key and pressing the letter L and on Mac OS by clicking on the Apple and selecting sleep.
- Subscribe to our Blog: http://blog.utc.edu/ITDAnnouncements/